Tips and information for refugees

You are new in Germany? We have compiled some of the most important information and useful tips for everyday life.

  • Accommodation
    The requirements necessary for accommodation including equipping it with furniture and household items are fulfilled in kind. This means that living space which has all the furniture and household items needed, is made available for free. Rent, heating and additional costs are paid for by the Free State of Bavaria.
  • Asylum process
    Important information for applying for asylum in Germany: download
    Refugee information movie for the official hearing at the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) in 14 various languages: Movie official hearing
    Official hearing at the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) (Persian language):
    Pro bono legal service:
  • Bank account
    To open a bank account, asylum seekers need to provide a residence permit, proof of residence and a benefit statement from the administrative district office. Individuals should have a good grasp of the German language when opening an account and, if necessary, be accompanied by an interpreter or other asylum seeker with good German skills. An account may be opened at any bank branch.
  • Benefits for pregnant women and children
    Additional needs for pregnant women are fulfilled, when either the pregnancy record or a confirmation of pregnancy at twelve weeks by the doctor is presented. The benefit is provided up to the end of the pregnancy and the amount is 17% of the respective rate. Women can apply for an allowance of €77 for maternity wear. Eight weeks before birth, women can request an extra payment for basic baby equipment from social services. Costs of standard pre-natal checkups, childbirth and post-natal checkups by a midwife are paid for. Individuals should register with a midwife as early as possible. Costs of standard checkups and vaccinations for children are absorbed. Costs may only be accepted within the framework of the benefits catalogue of public health insurance!
    Download Meal schedule for babies - german
    Download Meal schedule for babies - english
    Download Meal schedule for babies - arabic
  • Bürgertreff Beilngries (BüB)

    A brand new meeting place which goes by the name ‘Bürgertreff Beilngries’ (Beilngries community centre) has recently opened in the heart of the town. Aimed at the young, old, refugees, nonrefugees, residents of Beilngries and newcomers to Beilngries alike, the centre is located in the old fire service building, Hauptstrasse 51 in Beilngries.

    Interested? You can get involved by putting together a course for members of the public or by participating in one of the various courses on offer.

    For more information go to:

  • Care in case of illness

    Costs for treatment of asylum seekers will only be met in cases of acute illness and chronic pain. This also applies to medicines and dressing materials necessary for treatment. Certificates of medical treatment are issued by social service employees in Eichstätt. A new certificate is required for each quarterly period. The first step in any case is to consult a general practitioner (with the exception of paediatricians, dentists and in case of pregnant women the gynaecologists). If this doctor issues a referral to a specialist, the referral should be passed on to the administrative district office first (via the social worker). The medical officer will then verify the need and will authorize the referral to a specialist where appropriate.

    After 15 months, refugees with residence permits or permission to stay are entitled to a health insurance card (will be contacted by authorities in Eichstätt). At this point, it is possible to consult a doctor directly. From this point on, the health insurance company is responsible for answering questions regarding cost cover. Individuals should apply for their own health insurance cards.


  • Clubs
    When local clubs open their doors to refugees, they can be places where it is easy to meet new people. That is why many clubs already offer sports activities especially for refugees and asylum seekers. In order to prevent additional financial pressure on clubs, the BLSV (Bavarian Sports Association) absorbs all costs associated with sports insurance for refugees and asylum seekers taking part in activities offered by the association. This insurance applies to all BLSV member clubs. The sports insurance, taken out with the insurer ARAG by the BLSV for its member clubs, covers accident and third-party liability claims. The primary concern is that the claim is processed unbureaucratically. Those affected do not have to be reported to the BLSV. Refugees and asylum seekers do not have to be members to be covered by the insurance.
  • Contacts


    For Community Housing (once Hotel Gallus)

    Management and caretaker are on site, Tel. 08461 6069239,


    Caritas asylum support Beilngries, Pfarrgasse 5, 92339 Beilngries

    Mrs. Jennifer Lehmeier, call 0171 3013165
    Monday from 09:00 to 12:00 o'clock
    Wednesday from 13:00 to 16:00 o'clock



    Mrs. Kathrin Weber, call 0172 8576108
    Availability: Monday to Friday 9:00 to 12:00 o'clock

    Office hours of BüB - "Old Fire Department", Hauptstr. 51, Beilngries
    Wednesday from 17:30 to 18:30 o'clock


  • Doctors in Beilngries

    The following doctors may be consulted with a certificate of medical treatment.

    • General practitioner Dipl.-Med. Claudia Kuhn
      Josef-Pilland-Straße 2, 92339 Beilngries
      Tel. 0 84 61 / 72 08
    • General practitioner/natural medicine Kathrin Mathis
      Hauptstraße 32, 92339 Beilngries
      Tel. 0 84 61 / 6 06 36-0, Fax: 0 84 61 / 6 06 36-26
    • General practitioner/natural medicine Wolfgang Brand
      Ottmaringer Straße 3, 92339 Beilngries
      Tel. 0 84 61 / 4 10
    • General practitioner Richard Meißner
      Finkenstraße 6, 92339 Beilngries
      Tel. 0 84 61 / 73 96
    • General practitioners Dr. med. Matthias Bauer, Dr. Verena Brendle, Johann Wunderle
      Ingolstätter Straße 32, 92339 Beilngries
      Tel. 0 84 61 / 4 99 62-00, Fax 0 84 61 / 4 99 62-29
    • Specialist in paediactric medicine, homeopathy Dr. med. Doris Geissler
      Ingolstädter Straße 32, 92339 Beilngries
      Tel. 0 84 61 / 77 55, Fax 0 84 61 / 91 76
    • Specialists in gynaecology Friedrich Schütz, Mathias Wilde, Dr. Stefanie Borris
      Ingolstädter Straße 32, 92339 Beilngries
      Tel. 0 84 61 / 60 63 53-0, Fax 0 84 61 / 60 63 53-43
    • Specialists in paediactric medicine Dr. med. Malte Bräutigam, Manuel Petsch
      Kevenhüller Straße 4, 92339 Beilngries
      Tel. 0 84 61 / 77 99, Fax 0 84 61 / 60 51 93
    • Dentist Dr. med. dent. Lorenz Meid & Partners
      Bräuhausstraße 36, 92339 Beilngries
      Tel. 0 84 61 / 82 18, Fax 0 84 61 / 91 60
    • Dentist Dr. med. Dr. med. dent. Wilhelm Wöhrl
      Hauptstraße 26, 92339 Beilngries
      Tel. 0 84 61 / 85 20
    • Dentist Dr. Peter Scharnagl, Dr. Judith Bächer, Dr. Heike Jung
      Drosselstraße 7, 92339 Beilngries
      Tel. 0 84 61 / 70 05 99, Fax 0 84 61 / 70 05 98
    • Dentist Dr. Uwe Rühle
      Ingolstädter Straße 36, 92339 Beilngries
      Tel. 0 84 61 / 94 94
  • Drinking water and food

    German tap water is subject to the most intensive checks and can be consumed without restrictions.

    Download "Enjoy your meal"


  • Driver’s license
    After only a few months, asylum seekers may begin working. In the countryside, though, the journeys to and from work may be long. Without a driver’s license it may be hard to earn a living. Following a number of complaints, the Bavarian Interior Ministry is making it easier for those asylum seekers without valid documents to get a driver’s license. The authorities are now permitted to issue a driver’s license to asylum seekers without seeing the relevant birth certificate, identity card or passport. A so-called travel document can be used instead. Please ask at the local driving license office.
    From October 1st, 2016 there is the opportunity to take the theory test in Arabic
    Further informationen
  • Education and participation package
    Asylum seekers are legally entitled to receive benefits as part of the education and participation package for their children and young people under the age of 25.

    The following can be supported using the package:
    • Additional costs for lunch at school and nursery.
    • Learning support if the learning target can be achieved.
    • Culture, sport, participation: €10 per month
    • Personal school equipment (e.g. school bag, writing utensils) €70 at the beginning of the school year and a further €30 in February.
    • Trips: Costs for school, kindergarten and nursery trips (day trips and for several days)
    • Travel for pupils: the cost of travel for pupils to a secondary school (in case the travel pass can be used for personal travel, there will be a cost of €5 per month to the individual).
    Young adults up to the age of 25 are entitled to most of the benefits (e.g. when attending a vocational training college). Applications to social services, asylum department in Eichstätt.
  • Emergencies

    In case of emergency admission to hospital, no certificate of medical treatment is needed. Asylum seekers may be admitted to hospital in case of acute need. The hospital sends an application to the administrative district office for costs to be paid.this also applies to transport costs by the emergency doctor and ambulance. Emergency treatment (e.g. at weekends) by a doctor can be settled using an emergency treatment certificate.

    "Little Red Cross Guide" download in different languages

  • Employment


    Work permit

    As long as an asylum seeker is obliged to live at a reception centre (up to three months according to the asylum procedure acceleration law of 24.10.15), he or she is not permitted to work. As long as the employment agency agrees, asylum seekers can then seek employment. Their access to the job market has a lower priority. Employers should fill out a form (shuttle letter) and pass it on to the immigration office. The Federal Labour Office verifies the application in terms of the job market as well as rates of pay and a decision is made within two to three weeks.

    After a complete employment ban while staying at a reception centre, in future it will be possible for asylum seekers to enter employment after 15 months without any checks as to whether applicants from Germany or other EU member states have priority. After a 15-month stay in Germany, asylum seekers are permitted to work for temporary employment agencies. To do this, an application should be made to the immigration office. Once a work permit has been issued, data regarding the employer and working hours are recorded either in the residence permit or permission to stay. After four years of residence it is usually possible to enter employment without the approval of the immigration office. Taking on a new job always has to be registered with social services first. Monthly pay slips should be presented to the Social Affairs and Employment agency. Asylum seekers should, for the most part, use their monthly pay to maintain themselves and family members living in the same household. The asylum seeker is entitled to an allowance of 25% of his/her income and which should not exceed 50% of the relevant minimum amount needed to live on. It is possible that fees for accommodation may be payable. Placements, vocational training, voluntary work and the employment of highly qualified persons do not need to be approved.

    Employment agency programmes

    The employment agency would like to help asylum seekers in their search for employment. Possibilities include advice on the regional job market, placement in appropriate jobs as well as further qualifications for asylum seekers and those with permission to stay during the asylum process. The requirement is registration with the employment agency in Eichstätt.


    External links


  • Equality

    The German consitution § 3 states:

    (1) All people are equal before the law.

    (2) Men and women are equal. The state promotes the actual enforcement of equal rights for men and women and acts towards eliminating existing disadvantages.

    (3) No one may be favoured or discriminated against for their gender, birth, race, language, nationality, religious or political beliefs. No one may be discriminated against because of their disability.

  • Further benefits
    Further benefits may be given in exceptional cases depending on individual approval by the Agency for Social Affairs and Employment e.g. travel costs to the BAMF (Federal Office for Migration and Refugees) interview, maternity wear, basic equipment for babies. Requests should be made in writing to the Agency for Social Affairs and Employment before purchasing clothing or basic equipment. Travel costs to the BAMF, to obtain a passport or to get advice on returing home will be refunded at the appropriate rate e.g. Bayernticket. Please do not forget to present your tickets!
  • German lessons (voluntary)

    There is no standardised offer of German tuition for asylum seekers. Independent organisations provide publicy funded language and integration courses, where there is a limited number of places only. Volunteers often hold German courses in refugee accommodation as well as supporting families and singles, who would like to learn the language.

    Free language lessons via internet:

  • Glasses, dentures, hearing aids
    With the exception of children, the cost of a pair of glasses, hearing aid etc. are not covered. The cost of dentures will only be paid in exceptional circumstances. The dentist should give reasons for the need which will be verified by the medical officer.
  • Hospital, operations
    Hospital stays as an in-patient as well as operations (including as an out-patient) must be authorized in advance. The exception is in emergencies. The relevant provision should be presented to social services in order that the medical officer can verify it.
  • Hotspots / Internet / WIFI
    You can apply for an internet connection in any mobile shop. Please be aware that it costs money and has to be paid for by the individual. You will need to take your bank account number to apply for a connection.

    • Beilngries, Hauptstr., Haus des Gastes
    • Beilngries, Hauptstr., Rathaus
    • Integration courses

      The integration of recognised refugees into the economic, cultural and social life of the Federal Republic of Germany is actively promoted and encouraged through free participation in integration courses. The idea of the courses is to successfully teach the language, legal system, history and culture of Germany to foreigners.

      Integration courses are coordinated and carried out by the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees (BAMF) working together with public and private partners. Courses are usually organised by adult education centres. To be eligible to take part in a course, please include your permit notice from the BAMF or job centre.

      Changes in residence law in October 2015 mean that as well as the the integration courses, there are now also three-month introductory courses for non-recognised asylum seekers and refugees from unsafe origins.

      Application forms for integration courses for asylum seekers who have been in Germany for a longer period and whose asylum claim is still in process can be downloaded in different languages under:

    • Interpreters
      Asylum seekers living in the administrative district of Eichstätt speak a wide variety of languages. Although support groups do all they can to teach German to refugees by offering courses and reader partnership programmes, sometimes the German skills available are insufficient to communicate complex matters. Interpreters are usually hard to find. An official interpreter will be on hand in court or as part of the asylum process at the Federal Office for Migration and Refugees. Everyday problems in social care often lead to volunteers relying on the help of interpreters from among those asylum seekers who have lived here longer. This usually works fairly well. However, if information gets lost in translation, please comtact the social counselling service at Caritas or the volunteer office at the administrative district office.
    • Joining health insurance
      After 15 months, refugees with a residence permit or permission to stay are entitled to a health insurance card. With that they may consult a doctor directly. The health insurance is responsible for answering questions regarding payment of costs, This makes the procedure much simpler. However, refugees have to apply for the card themselves.
    • Police
    • Pregnancy advice
      For female refugees in particular, who are unsure about their resident status and are still living in refugee accommodation, pregnancy can present a considerable problem. In such situations, pregnancy advice centres can offer help.
      Advice is free of charge, confidential, open and unbiased as well as being anonymous if required. However, some of the women affected may opt for an abortion.(
    • Prescription charges

      Asylum seekers are exempt from additional charges for medication. If the individual is buying over-the-counter, non-prescription medicines, then he/she should pay fort he items. Exception for insurances with health insurance cards.

    • Protection from violence

      The number of refugees seeking protection and refuge in Germany is still rising. Currently, there is not sufficient living space available to adequately accommodate single women in particular. It is very important that single women and children are protected from gender-related violence.

      In reaction to this, the General Association for Equality has published a concept on protection against violence.

    • Rates of need

      The rates of benefits due as well as the value of the non-cash benefits are based upon the respective rate of need. These rates are adjusted regularly and were on 17.03.2016 as follows:

      Payment type Single person/
      lone parent
      Adult living in partnership Adult without own household/
      Teenager aged 15 ‐ 18 years Child aged 7 ‐ 14 years Child 0 ‐ 6 years
      Food, clothing, shoes and general care 185,14 € 165,70 € 148,79 € 182,94 € 146,74 € 127,12 €
      Allowance 135,00 € 122,00 € 108,00 € 76,00 € 83,00 € 79,00 €

      If the individual does not have a bank account, allowances for food and pocket money are paid out in cash on the first and second working day of each month by the cashier at the local municipality. Payment will be made on presentation of a valid temporary resident permit, certificate of registration of the asylum seeker or of toleration.

      In cases where the amount is transferred to an existing bank account, the recipient should contact the cashier at the municipal office in person. This should be done one or two days before the first month of payment (proof of residence in the locality!).

    • Road safety

      In Germany, we drive on the right side!

      If you are a road user (pedestrians and, in particular, cyclists) it is important to know the rules of the road. Before using a bicycle on the roads in Germany, it makes sense to take part in a road safety training course. More information can be obtained from the local police.

      If an individual is riding his or her bike after dark, please remember to use bicycle lights (front and back) and wear a safety vest/high-visibilty clothing. Very important!


    • School and kindergarten


      Children of asylum seekers are entitled to go to a nursery or kindergarten from the age of one up to school age. Your social worker can help find out whether there are free places at the relevant institutions. In case there are no free places available in Beilngries, it may be necessary to fill a place in another neighbourhood or district.

      Fees are paid by the Youth and Family Office.

      Information for parents is available in the most common languages of asylum seekers (German, English, French, Dari and Somali) and can be downloaded free of charge under:



      Children and teenagers are obliged by law to go to school (exception: in the first three months after arrival). This takes 12 years, nine of which are full time and three in vocational training. Children can only be registered with a local school with the help of a social worker.


      Vocational training

      At the vocational training college in Eichstätt there is the BIJ-V (preparatory group for job integration year) for young asylum seekers of school age. The state vocational training college coordinates the training for the young people of school/college age (16-21/25 years old). The places are, however, limited and the college decides independently who will get a place.

    • Training

      To begin training, the approval of the employment agency is not necessary. All you need is for the immigration authority to make the adjustment to your residence permit. Before starting your job training or further education course, you should register with social services and provide proof of remuneration or payment.


      Placements are possible during the asylum process; both paid and unpaid. You can submit an application called a ‚shuttle letter’ (Pendelbrief) to the immigration office. The office will make a decision on the application.


      More and more German universities offer refugees the chance to study – even if refugees do not have the necessary documents. Of course they must have the qualifications and language skills required. Universities usually offer preparatory German courses. Refugees can apply for subsidies according to the BAföG law, if they have also have a German resisdence permit independent of the wish to study. Moreover, a BAföG application can also be made by people with a migration background and who have permission to stay. However, you have to have spent at least four years living in Germany without interruption. For more information, you can read the brochure: "Förderung und Beratung für Zugewanderte in Studium, Abitur und Spracherwerb".


      External links



    • Travel in Germany
      For asylum seekers who have been in Germany for longer than three months there is no restriction on their freedom of movement (applicable since 01.01.2015). Freedom to move is only restricted in terms of the borders of the Federal Republic Asylum seekers can, therefore, travel without restriction within the Federal Republic. However, their place of residence remains the accommodation allocated in the administrative district until a decision has been made about the respective asylum application. Individuals should also ensure they are able to receive their post (summons, notifications etc.).
    • TV license fee
      Asylum seekers are exempt from the license fee. Exemption can be applied for. The application can be sent along with an up-to-date permit notice to the ARD, ZDF, Deutschlandradio fee service, 50656 Köln. The application is available for download on the internet under: and can be filled out and sent online. Please do not forget to include the permit notice regarding the receipt of benefits or a certificate from the office providing the benefits.
    • Voluntary return

      The Central Return Advice Bureau (ZRB) in south and south-west Bavaria helps third-country nationals and asylum seekers to return to their home country voluntarily. The ZRB offers open and unbiased advice to people wishing to go back home and supports this group in their voluntary departure. People wanting to return home can get advice from the ZRB free of charge. Within the framework of rules and regulations as well as available funding, the ZRB helps to cover transport costs, travel grants and start-up support for back home. The organisation supports in getting hold of the relevant travel documents and absorbs costs through the funding agencies. Each case is looked at and handled individually. It is also possible to receive special help in individual cases. This can range from support in obtaining medication, arranging participation in training courses, starting up a business back home to aftercare. As funds for the advice bureau are limited, not every individual case can be considered for financial help. It is the aim of the service to, as far as possible, aid each client in re-integration into his/her home community quicky.

    • Waste disposal
      Waste disposal is organised centrally. You can find the lists of collection dates for each part of town here:

      We would like you to note the following:
      Yellow sacks can be picked up at the caretaker/accommodation manager or the town hall (Rathaus) and you may put the following things into them:
      • Empty margarine, cream, pudding and yoghurt pots
      • Empty packaging for fruit and vegetables as well as packaging from microwave meals.
      • Peanut and chips packets
      • Juice and milk cartons, vacuum packs (from coffee etc.)
      • Empty spray cans, food and drinks cans
      • Fabric-softener bottles etc.
      • Plastic wrappers and bags.
      Put waste paper into the green bin:
      • Packaging made from paper or cardboard
      • Cigarette packets without synthetic material or plastic
      • Newspapers
      • Anything made from paper or cardboard
      Hazardous waste:
      • Batteries can be handed in in shops.
      • Bulky waste that does not fit in the bin can be taken to the recycling depot or can be collected from home on request (please check the waste guide).
      • Returnable bottles can be taken back to the shop (you will also get money back). Glass can be thrown into the containers provided for your use.
      Residual waste:
      • This is everything that you cannot dispose of otherwise!

      You will find further information here: